There is no point in having a website that no one knows about or visits. If you wish to pull out your website from the depths of obscurity, you should drum up some publicity for it and bait the search engine bots the right way. When you form a plan for your SEO campaign, you should give due weightage to both on and off-page optimization to make the best of both the worlds.
While on-page optimization has its focus on using unique and relevant content, targeting the right keywords, modifying their frequency in the Title, URL, Headings, text of the web page and Hypertext Links, off-page optimization strategies are done off the web pages to help the site get featured on search results for relevant search terms. In case all this seems like a Herculean task, here are 20 steps that will offer help for your on-page and off-page optimization endeavor:
Content (keywords, meta information, to increase searches) - Approximately 25% of visits are based on content.
- Your Title tag and Meta Descriptions should have the proper keyword density.
- Don’t go for a short cut by copy pasting the same Meta Descriptions for each web page. Rather, make them relevant and unique for each page. For example, the description for your Home page should definitely differ from what you use for the Services page.
- Use keywords in the Alt tags for your images.
- Vary the anchor text while interlinking your web pages. Don’t use the same text everywhere in order to save effort.
- Place a site map to help your visitors and the search engine bots navigate and crawl the site easily.
- Get W3C Validation to ensure that your site works well with all kind of browsers.
- Check your links and remove the ones that are broken.
- Do not load every web page with all your selected keywords. Rather, make a list of the ones that are relevant for each page and use them accordingly.
- Have a robot.txt file with proper instructions so that only the pages that you want are crawled by the search engine bots.
- Use static links for your important web pages.
Drive traffic to site through linking - Approximately 75% of visits are based on links.
- Submit your site to the relevant categories of high ranked directories.
- Write unique articles and submit them to various article directories, using the author resource box to link bank to your website.
- Create your own blog and upload regular posts answering common problems or sharing your expertise on a relevant niche in order to bring traffic to your site.
- Find relevant blog posts by others and post comments, using your website link in the proper place to get backlinks. It pays to select do-follow blogs for this purpose as backlinks from no-follow blogs aren’t considered for ranking of web pages by various search engine robots.
- Become a member of some popular forums dealing with your niche and build a fan following over there, so that people from the forums are enticed to pay a visit to your website.
- Use social networking sites to participate in relevant discussions and build your credibility as well as brand recognition via interaction with people from far and wide.
- Social bookmaking is another way of creating a commendable online presence.
- You can submit press releases (free or paid) to various online sites, which in turn can provide you with precious backlinks and let the word out about your offerings.
- You can opt for link exchange with highly ranked and relevant websites.
- Whether it’s one way, two way, three way or multiway linking, make sure that you provide the correct anchor text to sites linking back to you so that you reap the most from such backlinks.
Though there are many other SEO tactics to help your website page rank climb up, the aforesaid ones are some of the basic steps that you can begin with. So, here’s wishing you good luck with your SEO campaign!