As consumers are increasingly using various social networking platforms to know about and buy from brands, marketers too have changed their strategies to leverage the power of such media. Thus, it’s no wonder that visual social platforms like Instagram and Pinterest have become extremely popular among both the consumers and the brands. This is primarily because the human brain not only likes visuals, but is way more impacted by them as compared to mere texts. In fact, some research results have shown that as compared to text, people process pictures 60,000 times faster. What’s more, 90% of the information transmitted to a human brain falls under the visual category.
In the travel and tourism industry, many business owners are using photo sharing sites like Instagram and Pinterest to drive more business their way. Perhaps you too would love to join the bandwagon but are a little confused about making a choice between the two. While there is no harm in utilizing both of these extremely useful platforms, you might not have enough bandwidth to do the same always. This is where comes the question of deciding between the two. Here is a comparative study of Instagram and Pinterest that might be of help
Why should you choose Instagram?
- After you take a photo or select a photo from the ones saved in your phone, you can edit and reedit the image. You can even use the multiple filters and applications to modify the final image of a destination to make it look more appealing to the prospective travelers.
- While analyzing Instagram photo searches, you will be able to understand your target clientele better. Interact with your target audience, discuss about some particular images and thus, you can reach and tap into a hitherto untouched digital community.
- Instagram is useful at each stage of a travel cycle, and not just for the stays. The images shared provide encouragement, guidance and inspiration during the stage of planning and even when the tour is in progress.
- You can use Instagram to encourage people to share their travel photos. These images can then be broadcasted back to travelers who may be dreaming of a trip to that particular place one day, those who have just finished a tour there, or those who are yet to decide if they want to visit or not.
- Tourism operators who are featured on Instagram posts can get a huge amount of additional enquiries, interests and bookings.
Things to consider:
- With Instagram, you don't get any API access. As a result of this, you can't use any separate tools to publish.
- In the Instagram pictures, links don't work in captions. This makes it a bit difficult for you to drive users to your website.
- Instagram has limited integration capabilities with other social media platforms. This can cause problems when you want to link and share your Instagram pictures with other social media networks.
- Another disadvantage of using Instagram is that it has limited scopes of advertising. Only big brands seem to be able to afford Instagram advertisements.
Why should you choose Pinterest?
- It is already the third most popular social network, which attracts more than 1.3 million visitors every day.
- It drives more referral traffic than the combined traffic of LinkedIn, Google+ and YouTube, and therefore, is an ideal tool for Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- It increases the visibility of your tourism business through the lively photos of different destinations.
- With Place Pins, you can now add value to your boards by introducing new places to the prospective travelers and encouraging them to visit by giving the contact info that they can call for details or use to book a stay directly.
As a member of the travel and tourism industry, you can cash in on Pinterest, which focuses on the emotions and experiences of the travelers. This platform lets you offer better and information packed interactive maps and tourist guides to the travelers, many of whom may eventually become your clients.
Things to consider:
- One of the toughest facts that you have to accept before jumping on the Pinterest bandwagon is that you just can’t talk only about your business and promote it unabashedly. You have to be completely discreet and subtle about your products or services while you focus on helping the travelers plan their tours.
- Pinterest can't serve as the solitary social media site for your business. You can enjoy its benefits the best when you use it together with Facebook and Twitter. At present, it doesn't have the ability to go viral like other social media posts. You need to use travel related hashtags or a website link to make it reach your target audience quickly.
Thus, the final choice rests with you, but now can make an educated choice on selecting on what suits your travel and tourism business the best. Often, it’s the wisest to use both, if possible, and leverage the dual benefits that Pinterest and Instagram have to offer.