- Foundation of the site is key. Ensure you have it built to current W3C standards utilizing such technologies as HTML, CSS and PHP
- Include meta-tags and keywords relative to content
- Body text and headings should support and reiterate keywords
- List your business for free on Google Maps
- Create a Google AdWords campaign
- Add a conversion form to your site
- Analyze your web traffic and adjust accordingly
- Use Google Analytics to check visitor trending such as, keyword usage and adjust accordingly
- Create a traffic funnel for how you want clients to navigate through your site
- Increase your external links to your site
- Periodically check for non-functioning or broken internal and external links
- Increase hits back to your site by doing regular email/eNewsletter marketing campaigns
- Add a "bookmark this page" to your site so customers can easily come back
- Add an "email this page to a friend" link to your site
- Don't use flash on your site
- Don't use frames on your site
- Don't use tables on your site
- Don't belong to a weblink or link ring. They don't work
- Regularly check your standing in popular search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing) using keywords potential clients would be using
- Be sure your site loads quickly with graphics optimized for the web
- Keep content fresh as search engines seek out pages that are frequently updated and receive hits
- Be sure all links internal and external are all working
- Your website address should be printed on all business and marketing items
- Advertise your site in the many free online classifieds to increase traffic
- List your site with the hundreds of search engines out there - many are free
- Use text instead of images to tell of important links or information
- Purchase your domain name for long periods of time. Search engines see that as a stable, notable site.
- Submit a Sitemap (not sitemap) to search engines so they know of additional content
What It Is and Why Your Business Needs It
A responsive web design refers to website layouts, designs, or versions which can display on all kinds of platforms and browsers. According to eMarketer, 75.7% of today's population are using mobile phones. Certainly, you can expect the majority of those users to rely on their cell phones as well for accessing the Internet. Not having a mobile ready website is virtually akin to turning away a huge chunk of your target market - and driving them to your competition as well.
Essential Keys to Responsive Web Design
In order to create a responsive design for your website, you need to focus on the following factors.
Designing for multiple platforms - It's no longer sufficient to design just for desktop and laptop users. You should also make sure that your website - and every essential aspect of it - will translate effectively regardless of the device and browser a person is using to access your website.
Flexible or automatically resized images - It's important that you make strategic use of images as they are one of the most difficult components to adjust and integrate with mobile layouts. When you do use an image, you should also make sure that it is programmed to resize and fit the needs or limits of a mobile layout.
Comprehensive labeling - Search engine robots can get more than a little confused when they crawl around your mobile website. Because your content may also be compressed to fit the parameters of your mobile layout, lack of labels can cause the content of your website to be all jumbled up. Your human readers may not be confused, but search engine robots do not always possess the same sense of intuition your human readers have. Overall, it's better to play it safe and protect your search engine ranking by meticulously labeling your text and making good use of subheadings whenever appropriate.
Regular monitor checks - Although responsive designs are becoming increasingly popular, they're still fairly new. As such, there are still lots of glitches to smooth out along the way. It would be better overall if you were to frequently check on the mobile version of your website just to see if everything is working the way it should.
Why Do I Need a Responsive Website Design Right Now?
"Now" is the operative word in this case. As the statistical evidence below will prove, it's imperative that you make the necessary changes to your website as soon as possible. If not, the gap between you and your competition will only continue to increase - and at an exponential rate at that.
A study conducted by MobiThinking this year showed that approximately 1.2B individuals in the world use mobile devices to go online. More importantly, 25% of that figure has been identified as "mobile-only" Internet users.
Do what's right and what's best for your business this moment and contact an expert in order to start enjoying the benefits of a responsive web design.
Finding you don't have the funds to purchase Photoshop? Maybe you've tried to learn it, but just can't invest the time required to learn the intricacies of the program. Whatever the case, we have scoured the net in search of the best free web-based image editors. These are great alternatives to Photoshop because they are easy to use and available online, for free!
Pixlr: This online photo editor is equipped with layers, history, custom brushes and other features. The GUI resembles Photoshop. You can use the express version if you just want to focus on basic features like resize, crop etc.
Sumo: Sumo Paint is a powerful web-based graphics editor with a variety of different editing tools. It can be used as a paint program and photo editing program. With Sumo Paint, you can save your artwork on your computer but also on Sumo account in the web. This allows you to open your images from any computer. All you need is a network connection. Here is a list of some of Sumo Paint's awesome features:
- Shapes Tool
- Layers With Blending Modes
- Awesome Brushes
- The Ink Brush Tool
- Filters Sumo
- Gradient Tool
- Shape Trails
- Symmetry Tool
- Color Picker
- Smudge Tool
- Custom Shape Tool
Splashup:This is a powerful editing tool and photo manager. With the features professionals use and novices want, it's easy to use, works in real-time and allows you to edit many images at once. Splashup runs in all browsers, integrates seamlessly with top photo-sharing sites (It is integrated with Flickr, Facebook, Picasa, and more), supports layers and even has its own file format so you can save your work in progress.
Aviary: From basic image retouching to complex effects, Phoenix Image Editor from Aviary delivers the key features of a desktop image editor with the simplicity and accessibility of a web-based application.
pixer.us allows you to edit your photos online using your browser. You can upload your photo using the "load image" form. In a few seconds, the image will be displayed on screen and you can start to work on it. After you're done fixing your photo, you need to click on the "Save" button to download it using your preferred file format. All modifications are done in a non-destructive way. This means that your image will always retain its original quality.
There is no point in having a website that no one knows about or visits. If you wish to pull out your website from the depths of obscurity, you should drum up some publicity for it and bait the search engine bots the right way. When you form a plan for your SEO campaign, you should give due weightage to both on and off-page optimization to make the best of both the worlds.
While on-page optimization has its focus on using unique and relevant content, targeting the right keywords, modifying their frequency in the Title, URL, Headings, text of the web page and Hypertext Links, off-page optimization strategies are done off the web pages to help the site get featured on search results for relevant search terms. In case all this seems like a Herculean task, here are 20 steps that will offer help for your on-page and off-page optimization endeavor:
Content (keywords, meta information, to increase searches) - Approximately 25% of visits are based on content.
- Your Title tag and Meta Descriptions should have the proper keyword density.
- Don’t go for a short cut by copy pasting the same Meta Descriptions for each web page. Rather, make them relevant and unique for each page. For example, the description for your Home page should definitely differ from what you use for the Services page.
- Use keywords in the Alt tags for your images.
- Vary the anchor text while interlinking your web pages. Don’t use the same text everywhere in order to save effort.
- Place a site map to help your visitors and the search engine bots navigate and crawl the site easily.
- Get W3C Validation to ensure that your site works well with all kind of browsers.
- Check your links and remove the ones that are broken.
- Do not load every web page with all your selected keywords. Rather, make a list of the ones that are relevant for each page and use them accordingly.
- Have a robot.txt file with proper instructions so that only the pages that you want are crawled by the search engine bots.
- Use static links for your important web pages.
Drive traffic to site through linking - Approximately 75% of visits are based on links.
- Submit your site to the relevant categories of high ranked directories.
- Write unique articles and submit them to various article directories, using the author resource box to link bank to your website.
- Create your own blog and upload regular posts answering common problems or sharing your expertise on a relevant niche in order to bring traffic to your site.
- Find relevant blog posts by others and post comments, using your website link in the proper place to get backlinks. It pays to select do-follow blogs for this purpose as backlinks from no-follow blogs aren’t considered for ranking of web pages by various search engine robots.
- Become a member of some popular forums dealing with your niche and build a fan following over there, so that people from the forums are enticed to pay a visit to your website.
- Use social networking sites to participate in relevant discussions and build your credibility as well as brand recognition via interaction with people from far and wide.
- Social bookmaking is another way of creating a commendable online presence.
- You can submit press releases (free or paid) to various online sites, which in turn can provide you with precious backlinks and let the word out about your offerings.
- You can opt for link exchange with highly ranked and relevant websites.
- Whether it’s one way, two way, three way or multiway linking, make sure that you provide the correct anchor text to sites linking back to you so that you reap the most from such backlinks.
Though there are many other SEO tactics to help your website page rank climb up, the aforesaid ones are some of the basic steps that you can begin with. So, here’s wishing you good luck with your SEO campaign!